More than any other business, Hollywood is a place where talent, youth and beauty are exploited, with a premium paid for all three. It’s also an industry that’s learned to shield itself from criticism by celebrating its venal and amoral customs with skilful self-parody, so that proud mea culpas from selfish sociopaths have somehow shifted the focus from actual predators and criminals thriving in the background.
Parents’ groups have been demanding more family-friendly fare from Hollywood for years, but a glance at the credits of the three men at the centre of the recent scandals suggests that what goes on the screen is almost irrelevant, and that child abuse actually thrives where children have roles.
Resistant, as ever, to what would be by necessity a profound change, Hollywood may have actually gone past the point of redemption.
Tune in to Sun News!
My NEW book!
Toronto Election T-shirts!
NEW from New English Review:
- And shouldn’t a ‘Ferguson’ camo pattern be, like, 7/11 & Kool-Aid logos and shit anyhow?
- ‘Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path…’
- Everything people are saying about Robin Williams is right — and wrong — at the same time
- Pro-’Palestinian’ attempt to spread lies, hate at London Ribfest (?!) goes horribly wrong (video)
- The NYT will close its doors for good within the next ten years: Part XVII
- Rush Limbaugh’s comments on Robin Williams are being unfairly misquoted. Must be Wednesday.
- ‘Michael Brown and the paramilitarized Ferguson Police Department are two sides of the same coin’
- Montreal police supposedly made a Jewish blogger take down this post, so here it is
- 10 Great Things About Young Nannies
- Science: We like music we listened to when we were young because we were young when we listened to it
- Islamists in Iraq rely on mines, booby traps in battlefield strategy
- US court scraps order to seize Kurdish crude from tanker near Texas
- Giant panda faked pregnancy for extra treats and air conditioning
- Dealing Honestly with ‘White Privilege’
- ‘Europe’s Last Stand’ – The five pillars of Islamic conquest: New film from the Christian Action Network