Looking back over the history of the last 10 years, through which I have been writing these columns, I’m now persuaded of a major misjudgment. While I supported the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq — still do, and “would do it again” without qualms — I see ever more clearly that the “Bush doctrine” of exporting “democracy” was an unnecessary mistake. (…)
I nevertheless conferred the benefit of the doubt on an American-led project, predicated on post-War successes in Germany and Japan.
In retrospect, the circumstances were so utterly different, and the times so utterly changed, that the mission was unachievable, and could only come to grief.
Tune in to Sun News!
My NEW book!
Toronto Election T-shirts!
NEW from New English Review:
- Does Olivia Chow’s proposed handgun ban include the piece owned by Warren Kinsella’s girlfriend — who volunteers for Chow?
- Has Warren Kinsella resigned from Sun News yet? Day One
- Cops: unionized bureaucrats — with guns
- Mark Steyn on one of the great recordings: Frank Sinatra’s ‘Fly Me To the Moon’
- ‘I don’t understand the SlutWalk’
- Tommy, last surviving Ramone, dies, aged 65 (or thereabouts)
- Journalists: Your moral and intellectual superiors!
- ‘For too long, conservatives have ceded the popular culture to the Left’
- This comment made my week, and it’s only Monday morning:
- Vancouver, whose mayor does NOT smoke crack, bans doorknobs
- How do you fix a problem like immigration?
- The scourge of Islamophobic Muslims
- Man Takes Pregnant 12-Year-Old He Raped to Three Abortion Clinics, None Report the Abuse
- You have bigger things to worry about Princess, ISIS will be rocking your palace soon enough.
- Obama planning to give ‘millions of illegal immigrants work permits and save them from deportation’