Looking back over the history of the last 10 years, through which I have been writing these columns, I’m now persuaded of a major misjudgment. While I supported the invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq — still do, and “would do it again” without qualms — I see ever more clearly that the “Bush doctrine” of exporting “democracy” was an unnecessary mistake. (…)
I nevertheless conferred the benefit of the doubt on an American-led project, predicated on post-War successes in Germany and Japan.
In retrospect, the circumstances were so utterly different, and the times so utterly changed, that the mission was unachievable, and could only come to grief.
My NEW book!
Tune in to Sun News!
Rob Ford t-shirts!
NEW from New English Review:
Advertise on this blog!
Reach this blog's 100,000+ unique monthly visitors.
CLICK HERE for ad rates!
- My NEW book: Confessions of a Failed Slut
- ‘Mark Steyn could have not chosen a better lawyer to represent him than (…) Daniel Kornstein.’
- Ed Driscoll: By all means, dump Firefox. But then what?
- Mark Steyn: The tyranny of name recogniton
- ‘The trouble with Judge Combs Greene’s statement is that it’s rubbish’
- Why Mark Steyn doesn’t have a legal defense drive at KickStarter
- Your moral and intellectual superiors!
- Must read: Mark L. Walberg on what really goes down on trashy reality shows
- As I’ve been saying: ‘Your retirement plan is sh*t’
- Mark Steyn: The Slow Death of Free Speech
- More Asia trouble: Pirates raid Japanese oil tanker off Malaysia, kidnap three crew
- Things heat up in Asia: China seizes Japanese cargo ship as payment for an unpaid compensation debt from 1936
- Tony Blair urges British intervention against Islamic extremists around the world
- What is the Beer Store?
- Square off firearm sales: Gun merchants are being shunned by payment processing company Square.