Coming to the movement in 2009 as a long-time political sideliner, I connected with the national Tea Party Patriots organization. After volunteering to blog for their site, they introduced me to their state coordinator in Minnesota, Toni Backdahl. She invited me to dinner, and I accepted without question. My assumption was that she would brief me on the status of the movement in Minnesota, and we would strategize how to best utilize my volunteered services.
What actually transpired during our meal was far more telling than any briefing I may have expected. Backdahl regaled me with drama. She talked about shadowy conspiracies by Republicans to co-opt the movement. She spent most of our time together warning me against other Tea Party activists that she had deemed traitorous to the cause in numerous ways.
Tune in to Sun News!
My NEW book!
Toronto Election T-shirts!
NEW from New English Review:
- Does Olivia Chow’s proposed handgun ban include the piece owned by Warren Kinsella’s girlfriend — who volunteers for Chow?
- Has Warren Kinsella resigned from Sun News yet? Day One
- What if G. Gordon Liddy had shown up at the Watergate, and the DNC office door was unlocked?
- Cops: unionized bureaucrats — with guns
- ‘I don’t understand the SlutWalk’
- Mark Steyn on one of the great recordings: Frank Sinatra’s ‘Fly Me To the Moon’
- Now I have to track down everything Julie Klausner’s ever done
- Tommy, last surviving Ramone, dies, aged 65 (or thereabouts)
- ‘Progressives’ live in the past
- My tax dollars at play
- Mosaic of Diversity Alert: Board member of Palestine House thanks Syria for supplyiing rockets launched at Israel
- Christian Pastor Attacked by Muslims Warns Israel
- Guardian: ‘In a hospital. At the beach. Hamas, Israel tells us, is hiding among civilians’
- Cherson & Molschky: IDF Field Hospital at Gaza Border Treating Palestinians
- Turkey's religious affairs head tells of fading Islamic values