From their number arose a charismatic leader of brigands and cutthroats who proclaimed himself the infallible prophet of a religion of his own devising, centered on a book he himself had authored. When he was weak, he made treaties; when he was strong he broke them. When covetousness struck him – for his neighbors’ lands, herds, women, whatever – he would announce a new “revelation” from his god providing sanction for his crimes. Stealing, murdering, conquering, enslaving, and while he was at it, marrying a six-year-old, Mohammed propelled his tribe first to subdue their neighbors, and then, by the time of his death in AD 632, the western half of Arabia, from the Gulf of Aqaba to Yemen.
Tune in to Sun News!
Reach thousands of readers:
NEW from New English Review:
- CBC Sunday Morning revisits the Borscht Belt
- Boston: ‘Am I the only one captivated by the female cop in this iconic image?’
- BREAKING: Toronto Muslims force rabbi to drop out of hosting Pamela Geller event (video)
- Producer of ‘Fitna’ film converts to Islam
- I love Mark Shea, but this is crazy talk
- Health and safety: Has ‘the world’ really ‘gone mad’?
- Actually, turning Johnny Storm into a black guy makes sense
- Another day, another deluded Muslim
- ‘I thought Dissent and Commentary had merged…’
- To this day, some people are more put out by Dresden than by Dachau