He skillfully mined the language of social justice, racial equality and anti-sexism in an era in which disillusion with the possibility of freedom from institutional oppression ran high. He touted a liberation theology ethos (which he dubbed apostolic socialism) which married the “best” parts of the Christian social gospel with a vision of communalism and egalitarianism that more closely aligned with his inherent atheism. Initially this rhetoric was actualized in an array of social welfare programs (such as free community meals, housing and health care) for church members. It would be perverted through a systematic pattern of paranoia, abuse and persecution fueled by Jones and his inner circle
As many survivors have stated, Peoples Temple was initially an uplifting experience because of its ability to unify members around the common cause of social justice. Its message of racial harmony and cultural diversity resonated with white counterculture folk, aging white radicals, progressive Christians looking for an alternative to the insularity of mainstream traditions like the Black Church and people of color from all walks of life. (…)
In many regards, Jones became the charismatic white Jesus father figure that so many black women are besotted with today.
Tune in to Sun News!
My NEW book!
Toronto Election T-shirts!
NEW from New English Review:
- Does Olivia Chow’s proposed handgun ban include the piece owned by Warren Kinsella’s girlfriend — who volunteers for Chow?
- Has Warren Kinsella resigned from Sun News yet? Day One
- What if G. Gordon Liddy had shown up at the Watergate, and the DNC office door was unlocked?
- Cops: unionized bureaucrats — with guns
- ‘I don’t understand the SlutWalk’
- Mark Steyn on one of the great recordings: Frank Sinatra’s ‘Fly Me To the Moon’
- Tommy, last surviving Ramone, dies, aged 65 (or thereabouts)
- ‘Progressives’ live in the past
- Now I have to track down everything Julie Klausner’s ever done
- My tax dollars at play
- Mosaic of Diversity Alert: Board member of Palestine House thanks Syria for supplyiing rockets launched at Israel
- Christian Pastor Attacked by Muslims Warns Israel
- Guardian: ‘In a hospital. At the beach. Hamas, Israel tells us, is hiding among civilians’
- Cherson & Molschky: IDF Field Hospital at Gaza Border Treating Palestinians
- Turkey's religious affairs head tells of fading Islamic values