• December 7, 1977 was a Wednesday. The show in question did not happen until 10 nights after that, on the 17th.
• My Aim is True had, in fact, been issued domestically by the time of the airing. In defence, its strong sales as an import previous (without Watching the Detectives, which was only released as a stand-alone 45 in the UK) did prompt Columbia to make the deal and get it in gear over these parts.
• There might (might) be a stray shot somewhere in the day of Costello wearing a bow tie, but he almost always favoured conventional (mostly narrow) neckties in 1977.
• The Steve Martin/Randy Newman episode cited did not air for nearly a month, on January 21, 1978. (…)
• Pete Thomas’s T-shirt clearly says “THANKS” and not “THANX”.
He’s just getting started, folks.
PS: I wrote about Costello’s infamous SNL appearance here (a few months ago, on the segment’s anniversary. Yep, I got the date right…)